Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Pisa, Italy

Once again, I find myself way behind on entries. I have plenty to share about the Eurocup, my parents’ visit to Switzerland and our trip to Barcelona last week. However, given my desire to keep things as chronological as possible, I must first share about Italy.

Last month, Andy and Julie came to Europe for their summer vacation, and though they didn’t have time for Switzerland, I was able to join them in Pisa and Florence, Italy, places I’ve wanted to visit for awhile but hadn’t yet had the opportunity. So it was that early on the morning of Tuesday May 20th I boarded a train for an 8-hour journey south. I connected in Milan and Florence before making it into Pisa mid-afternoon, just after the Daubenmires flew in from England.

They met me at the train station and we dropped by the hotel (my first in a very long time) before heading to see the tower. It was great to see them for the first time in a few years and fun to reminisce about a few high school band trips (even if we had trouble remembering some of the details) as well as catching up on our current lives.

Anyway, if you talk to anyone who’s been to Pisa they are likely to complain that all there is to do there is see the tower. In a sense, that’s true. I suppose if Pisa was your destination and you planned to spend a few days there you’d quickly become bored. However, if you only plan on spending an afternoon there, it’s certainly worth a visit. First off, the tower (which is of course leaning) is quite a marvel – it’s the oldest standing tower in the world. (It also seems a rip-off to pay something like 16 Euro to go to the top which we opted not to do, but friends have told me is actually worth it.) But beyond that, it gives a nice sense of a smaller Italian city. We explored at a leisurely place, found a great place for dinner (with amazing gnocchi, even though we passed it by two or three times because it looked completely empty from the outside) and had some terrific gelato to boot.

All in all not a bad pace to pass the time before our trip to Florence the following morning.


Yes, it really leans


as do Andy and I… a little too much


foundation


the accompanying basilica


another little Pisa church, this one by the river


The Daubenmire double-camera assault


exciting Iron Man-themed graffiti


the tower by night

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home