Friday, January 04, 2008

Madrid, Spain Part 3: Sights and Culture

Having taken Spanish for a few years in high school, it was fun for me to experience some of the random cultural things we used to learn about (especially the food, though there are weird quirky linguistic things like “zumo” meaning juice instead of the Latino “jugo”).
Here’s a photo from one of the tapas places we ate at. A true Spanish omlet of eggs, ham and potatoes.


As always, I didn’t bring to many preconceptions to the trip and I was wowed by the grandeur of everything in the city — massive, ornate buildings along everyday streets. The plazas, monuments, etc. were all great to experience. Here are just a handful or random pictures.





Puerto de Alcala


Palacio de Linares


in front of a monument to Alphonso XII in the Parque del Buen Retiro


Cathedral de Almuneda

The coolest thing was the Palacio Real (Royal Palace) which was the first extravagant royal palace I’ve been in. Of course, photography was not allowed inside and none of the photos in any of the books or on the postcards come close to doing it justice. Even so, perhaps they (the images I’ve scanned from their official souvenirs) give a small glimpse of the place’s diversity and beauty. Also featured was an incredibly boring exhibit on the Greek influence in French art from the mid 1700s. Couldn’t get out of that soon enough.


Kara and I in front of the palace


Throne Room


The Rococo fever dream that is the Gasparini Room


Royal Chapel


Royal Armory

Madrid also has a great collection of art museums. My only regret from the trip is missing out on Picasso’s Guernica (we went to the museum on Sunday and it was only open from 10am-2pm — what kind of hours are those?), but I got to see a lot of other gems. The Prado was really neat, though I’m more into modern than classic art so some of it was lost on me. However, they have Hieronymus Bosch’s Garden of Earthly Delights which was great to see in person. And half the kids stuff in the gift shop was based on creatures from that painting! Wow!


The Prado Museum


Statue of Francisco Goya (pertinent side-note: do not see Goya’s Ghosts. Horrible film.


Statue of Diego Valezquez

The collection of the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum was great, ranging from medieval art through pop art and early design theorists. I highly recommend that to anyone who might be visiting the city.

entrance to the museum

During my trip we also went to a Flamenco show which was absolutely incredible. The second half, in which the dancers were accompanied by live musicians sharing the stage was one of the high points of my visit. I had a great time, though I realized that living in a French-speaking city has considerably mangled my (admittedly limited) Spanish. I’m really looking forward to seeing Barcelona in June which will hopefully hold in store more great experiences.


It is he, Don Quixote (with Sancho Panza)


Symbol of Madrid: el oso y el madroño (a bear and a Madrone tree, apparently some sort of European strawberry tree)

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

What sort of krazy omelet doesn't have any eggs? Makes me hungry though.

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home