Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving, Only A Month Late!

As previously mentioned, I am playing catch-up with all the weekend traveling I did in November. I was fortunate enough to get to spend the 17th and 18th back in London visiting Adam and Julie who recently moved there. They hosted an early “expat Thanksgiving” that weekend for me and our hometown friend Val Hayden (who spent this semester doing a study-abroad in Italy) — unfortunately Maggie, Dana and Erik were unable to make it.

It was great to be back in London, especially since I didn’t have to be in tourist mode this time having seen most of the major sights in June. And staying with friends is always better than worrying about hostels. I definitely think I could live in there for a few years.

It was even better to spend time with the Porrs who I hadn’t really seen since last winter. Despite some unruly students for Julie, they appear to be adjusting to European life just fine and it was cool to get to hear their perspectives on the culture and meet their friends.

Of course, the food was great as well. They went all-out with turkey, stuffing, cheesy potatoes (by far the favorite), mashed potatoes, and of course, pumpkin pie. Julie fashioned pilgrim hats and native american headresses and she and Val created candy turkey things using Oreos. I was quite impressed.


The guests: Me, Val, 2 of Julie’s co-workers, the Porrs’ roommate (turns out I’m awful with names!), Adam, and Julie




My favorite: Pumpkin Pie. Not worthy of a photo, you say? I beg to differ


The Americans


Adam and Julie prepare to break the wishbone. I’m pretty sure she won.

The rest of the weekend involved stopping by the pub and spending Sunday afternoon back in Camden browsing through clothes and used CDs which yielded some treasures for all parties. We caught a movie and grabbed dinner at Pizza Hut (seemed like the thing to do), and before I knew it, it was Monday morning and time to return to Geneva.

Even though it was a short trip, I’m glad I had the opportunity to make it. Here’s hoping I get to have some more European adventures with Adam and Julie before my time here is up!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home