Friday, September 22, 2006

Random Updates

•I’ve still been running with the Hash group and it’s a lot of fun. Last week was themed around back to school so most everyone wore an approximation of a British school uniform (I did not). The course involved running through the grounds of about 4 or 5 different schools and was quite fun. This week I was out in another part of France and we had dinner afterwards at a couple’s house. A very nice social time.

•Went to IKEA last Thursday—my first IKEA trip ever. I liked it. I’m not sure if the restaurant is a feature of all of their stores or not, but this one had it and the meatballs were wonderful. They also had fountain pop (the first I’ve seen here) so I made sure to drink several glasses of generic cola to get my money’s worth. Farhad and I bought a bunch of random kitchen stuff (pizza cutter, ice cream scoop, reamer, wine rack, etc.) And though I didn’t buy anything major, it is amazing how just a plant and a mirror can make a room seem a little more homey and inviting.

•The excitement of the arrival of my Arrested Development, The Simpsons, The Office, and Lost DVDs was tempered by an additional 22 franc customs fee I was not expecting. However, it’s nice to have some new(ish) entertainment to watch at the end of the day or to have on in the background while doing freelance.

•With the help of our Ontario-based web designer Albert (who was here a couple weeks ago) and Farhad, I’ve been introduced to torrenting. Thanks to lots of geeks in America and the newly increased speed of our internet, it looks like I’ll be able to keep up with the new episodes of “my shows” while here. I’ve already been able to catch the new Simpsons, Amazing Race, and some fresh Office hilarity.

•Ran a 10k race on Sunday. I was happy with my time of 41:12, though it’s nothing incredible. The event was in a village called Jussy to the east of Geneva and also had a half (demi) marathon going on. I opted for the 10k since I think I'm gonna try the full Geneva Marathon in May, so there’s no need to overexert myself now. It was strange to run a race based with only kilometer markers (since I’m so used to pacing myself for miles), but a couple other people from the Hash were there and despite a bit of rain, it was an enjoyable morning.

•Every Wednesday in the office we have a staff “prayer” where we all get together for some time of reflection. The planning goes to a different person each week and this week I was responsible. I focused on the story of the Rich Young Ruler and shared some music by Derek Webb and Mute Math. I think it was fairly well-received. BTW, you can download Derek’s album Mockingbird legally for free here.

•Tonight is Bearcat Live! at UC, a yearly beginning-of-the-quarter rock concert. I designed all the promo materials again this year and am pretty happy with how they turned out (although I have yet to see the actual printed material because that’s in Cincinnati and I am not). Anyway, here’s the poster:


•Another late Lollapalooza note: Mute Math, one of my favorite groups of the last few years, are finally getting some mainstream notice. You can check out some video over at MTV.com’s Overdrive. They shot all that at Lollapalooza and I was pretty close to the stage. Therefore, I am in the video for some split seconds. Here’s a screenshot from the video. Fun!


•We had personality testing in the office this week. We did 3 different tests, one of which being the Myers-Briggs indicator. I consider myself pretty self-aware, so I wasn’t really surprised by anything. I am currently an ENFP (I think I used to be an ENFJ when I entered college), which is called “The Entrepeneur” by some people. You can do a Wikipedia search to read more about me, but then again, you probably already know it. I also have a “relaxed CEO” leadership style. Interesting…

•The International Board of Directors of the organization have been in the office for the past few days and this weekend. As interns, we’re all responsible for helping with meals and such. Therefore, I will be cooking all day tomorrow (Saturday). But I also get to eat and socialize with people from all over the world who are very inspiring.
The communications team also had a meeting this week that revealed a very exciting prospect for my job. I can’t disclose anything at this point, but the minute I have more details I will definitely share.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you happen to catch the first episode of the Office this season yet? It's fantastic.

3:06 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Yes. Yes, I did. Absolutely amazing.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home