Sunday, September 10, 2006

Find Some Inspiration

Friday was a good day. I went to Lausanne, the next “major city” over from Geneva. Apparently one of Nicki’s travel guides called it the San Francisco of Europe—or maybe just Switzerland; I don’t recall—mainly because of its abundance of hills. I must say, it did remind me a bit of my home last summer and made me slightly wistful for San Fran. The weather was perfect: sunny and warm, yet not overbearingly humid. I liked the city a lot. It is very pretty, seems to have a lot of culture, and was overall a great place to spend the day. I went with a plan: visit four museums and one restaurant recommended by Farhad. I left having fulfilled those goals and with a wealth of inspiration. I present, then, a (hopefully) brief tour of my journey.

Musée Olympique
I love the Olympics. Seriously. I know the trendy thing now is to joke about how no one cares anymore, but the Olympics are great. Think about it: they celebrate excellence, they promote world peace, and they give us inspiration for doing things we never thought possible. The Olympic ideal of unity and respect among nations is admirable and a prime example of how I think the world should behave all the time. One of the plaques I read today mentioned that when the US Hockey Team beat Russia in 1980, the Soviets should have shunned them (in accordance with the animosity between the countries); instead, the Russian goalkeeper praised the US team in a show of good sportsmanship. In sport, things like nationality fall away. You are pitted against others, but really, you’re pitted against yourself and the competition becomes a positive—bringing out the best performance you can give. If you give it your all and someone beats you, you can only appreciate their accomplishment. That is why I love the Olympic Games.



When I did my “calendar” project for Gordon’s class two years ago (God, I can’t believe that’s already been two years) I remember getting a lot of information from the Olympic website and thinking about how neat the Olympic Museum must be. I never in a million years thought I’d end up getting to visit Switzerland, let alone live about 45 minutes away from Lausanne. Yet here I am. Funny how life works.



{One of the statues on the grounds of the Olympic Park}

The museum itself is quite comprehensive and well-designed. Upon entry there is a display of all the torches used in each games’ torch relay, followed by an exhibition of ancient Greek material on the historical olympics, then a section on Pierre de Coubertin who founded the modern movement (UC people may remember him as the dude with the moustache in the collage on my design), and then a recap of all the games and important historical events surrounding them (with a variety of memorabilia throughout). [Design junkies: the section on the Munich games (aside from mentioning the tragedy of the Israeli hostage situation) spotlighted Otl Aicher’s pictogram system and branding standards for the games. The section on the history of the Olympic Flag and Rings also included pages from the branding guide showing appropriate and inappropriate uses of the rings.]


{The summer games section featuring a really sweet collection of track shoes.}

Upstairs is separated into a summer section and a winter section, focusing a bit more on the atheletes themselves (and containing a variety of sportswear), again broken down by each year. There is also a display of the gold, silver, and bronze medals from each and every edition of the games thus far. The basement level houses the Olympic library and also a video library where you can, on demand, call up just about any footage from any gold medal event in Olympic history (you get 2 free viewings with admission). They also have space for contemporary exhibits, currently occupied by one about Fair Play (i.e. not doping, not fighting, etc.).



I spent almost 3 full hours there and could easily have spent more. Citius Altius Fortius. Faster Higher Stronger. Three words that conjure up amazing feats in my mind and serve as great encouragement when I’m running and need to push myself that extra mile. Glorious.

Musée de Elysee
A photography museum right next to the Olympic one that is currently featuring an exhibit devoted soley to Charlie Chaplin (who, after basically being kicked out of Hollywood, lived out the rest of his days on Lake Geneva).
Chaplin’s another entity I’ve always had an affinity for. I can remember actually dressing up as the Little Tramp and doing some sort of routine for a school presentation in 5th grade. I think I enjoy him so much because he was able to do so much with so little. Even compared with other silent film stars like Harold Lloyd or the Keystone Cops, for example, his sets and plots are uncomplicated—which isn’t to say no thought was put into them; they are well-designed and well-considered, just simple and direct.



The photography exhibit encompasses three floors and includeds production stills, behind-the-scenes photos, and even some outtakes from Chaplin’s various films. I love good photography and I love movies. This collection marked a confluence. Also displayed were some great lithograph posters from his films, most utilizing gorgeous design and illustration. It was also interesting to see the evolution of his work over time, as the Tramp evolved from a villainous character to one of sympathy. Even more illuminating was seeing the barebones short film origins of the character give way to more socially conscious films that Chaplin made after he took the reigns writing and directing all his films (a category into which, say, Modern Times and The Great Dictator would fall).

I left the museum feeling very fortunate that I had the chance to see the work. Viewing Chaplin in pristine black and white prints made him and the Tramp more real than the scratchy, faded film reels that I’ve been used to seeing. A good thing, indeed.

mudac (Musée de Design et D’Arts Appliqués Contemporains)
After a long climb up various hills through various parts of town over terrain varying between asphalt and cobblestone, I made my way to the Design and Contemporary Art Museum. They are currently hosting an exhibition called “Le Spectacle Dans La Rue,” a collection of 100 posters from 1958-1968 collected by Olivetti. This international display hosted work by luminaries including Milton Glaser, Armin Hoffman, Emil Ruder, and Josef Müller-Brockmann among many others.



The poster is one of my favorite design formats and it’s a shame that the artform seems to be dying in America (with the exception of screen-printed concert posters, which I must say, I hope to get into some day). In Switzerland (and possibly the rest of Europe) the poster is still all over the place as a means of communication. (I’ve been photographing some of the best around and once I’ve amassed enough for an entry, I’ll share.) The thing that struck me about the exhibit—even though I’ve seen the majority of these posters before—was how simple they all were, yet how much more impactful than anything today. In some of the designs a single image and two words were the only prominent thing, yet they communicate incredibly effectively even today. There’s so much information and clutter in today’s advertising that I doubt half of these could make it past an initial client presentation now, but they are gorgeous. Here are some favorites:


{Glaser’s famous Dylan poster.}


{A couple of great posters from the Swiss section. So incredibly simple, yet so impactful.}


{Hooray for Basel. Robert and Heinz would be proud.}

The rest of the museum was a bit uneven. One temporary exhibit hosted contemporary art by Florence Doléac which was mostly displayed via a computer slideshow and not actually on display. Another showed vintage pinball machine graphics from the 50s-70s which is a charming idea, but they were all just as gaudy and over-illustrated as you would expect. Finally, the top floor exhibited a beautiful permanent collection of contemporary glasswork. While the quality of the exhibitions on the whole is dubious, it was nice to visit a museum with a devotion to design and the poster exhibit was well-worth my trip.


{A great piece from the contemporary glass collection.}


Collection de L’Art Brut
My last museum was devoted to “Outsider Art”—that is, art by people without any formal training. Some of the artists are just regular people who start creating after retirement or on weekends. Others are people with severe mental and psychological limitations who are still able to express themselves through art.
While some of the work was slightly disturbing or naiive because of this, the vast majority of it was remarkable. I found it striking that even in the people that society would most like to cast to the margins, throw in institutions and ignore, God has placed gifts of creativity and expression. It was a nice reminder that every person truly is precious and has unique talents to share. It was also an important reminder that the arts really are essential, as most of these artists would have been isolated forever if not for art programs at their institutions or transfers to centers devoted to these pursuits.

If you ever have the chance to visit, I would recommend heading to this museum. Alongside each person’s works is a photo and biography about them so you are invited to read their story as you view their creativity.

Brasserie Artisanale Lausannoise
Finally, after a long day of walking, viewing, and reflecting, it was time to relax. Farhad had recommended a place to eat so I headed there. The Brasserie Artisanale is a restaurant/bar that serves really good pizza and microbrews 6 different beers. I grabbed a table and enjoyed a pint each of the Rousse (red) and Ginger (just as potent as you might guess from the name) along with my delicious pizza. A nice way to end the day before heading back home on the train.

Lausanne was just what I needed to clear my head and refresh myself after the frustrations of last week. Sometimes taking a day off for yourself is the best remedy. My wish for anyone reading this is that they find something that inspires them this week. I for one, am happy that I can find it in history and the arts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home