Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Mmm… Sacrilicious

Here’s something dad will enjoy:

While I find it kind of ironic that I’m working for a Catholic organization in the first place, it’s also pretty ironic that FI is located in Geneva, one of the hotbeds of the Protestant Reformation. Yes indeed, John Calvin lived here, wrote here, preached here, and was even exiled from here at various points. His presence is still evident in certain parts of the “Old Town” which boasts churches he taught at and an old cathedral that was stripped of its opulence during the Reformation.
It is also evidenced by the beer. Last night was nice weather-wise so Farhad and I moseyed down to Old Town and wandered around before meeting up with Mike (not my co-worker Mike, but an intern at another NGO here) for a drink at one of the bars. I decided to go Genevan and ordered a Calvinus. Yep, Calvin’s image emblazoned on a beer label. I wonder what he’d think of such a thing. (To be fair, I’ve also got a 6-pack of Franziskaner Hefeweisbier in the fridge at home—now I just need to find Lutherale or something.)

I still think this is pretty amusing, so I thought I’d share the label:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home