Sunday, August 13, 2006

Friday Night Flights, Or, I’ve Arrived

After spending the better part of Thursday packing (when I wasn’t watching Ghandi, eating a last burrito at Chipotle, shopping for additional toiletries—to be checked of course, wine-tasting, and watching mom pack most of my stuff), I awoke early Friday to head to the airport. Fortunately, I had absolutely no trouble with security or making my flights on time.

I flew from Columbus to Washington D.C. where I got to sit around for about 4 or 5 hours until my 4:30pm flight to Frankfurt. That flight was about eight hours long, and with the time difference, it meant I got there around 6:00am. As I mentioned before, this is my first time overseas and therefore my first non-American flight. I took Lufthansa and I must say, European airlines (or at least this one) put U.S. airlines (at least the cheap ones I usually take) to shame. We got a free hot dinner as well as a free breakfast, about 4 beverage services which included free alcohol if desired, free headsets for the in-flight entertainment, and 2 free hot towels (though I refused them because I don't put hot towels on my face at home, so why would I on an airplane?). It was nice to drink a Warsteiner while watching Over the Hedge (gotta love that Ben Folds soundtrack) without having to reach for my wallet even once. I managed a couple hours sleep on the plane before landing and finding my connecting flight to Geneva. Even this 45-minute flight included a small cheese sandwich, while my hour-long trip from Columbus to D.C. earlier in the day didn't even include a drink.

So at about 9 in the morning I touched down in Switzerland. My only regret is not readying my camera in time to photograph the TV moniter at the Passport check. But to all you designers, picture this: Welcome to Geneva. Please have your passport or photo I.D. ready. and the same thing in French set all in Comic Sans. That’s right—even in Europe you cannot escape the pariah of fonts.

But anyway I made it. My bags made it. My iPod made it (good news for anyone familiar with my return from San Fran last year). Yea!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Comic MS Sans in Switzerland? The homeland of Frutiger and his posse? Oh the shame.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Yeah, and today I saw a van with a logo in Gill Sans Ultra Bold (the hideous face where everything gets super-fat and the dots on the i's cause circular cuts into their stems). I've also noticed quite a bit of Copperplate Bold. Weird how fonts travel...

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home