Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Swiss Bank Account

Work has begun. Yesterday was my first day and went fine—they’re kind of easing me in this week which is nice. Afterwards Farhad and I rode the tram about half way home and then went to Manor, this sort of hybrid department/grocery store. It seemed pretty cool although a bit hectic. Everything here closes at 7:00pm (except for some restaurants), so people have to get their shopping done in a very small time window. Also, nothing is open on Sunday (except for some restaurants), so that day is out as well (with the exception of taking a tram to the airport where there is a lone grocery store open that day).
So anyway, we left there and each had a beer on the way home because there are no open container laws. Hooray Geneva! It was still a bit cold but at least not raining so the walk was enjoyable.

Today one of the staffers got baptized which was a huge deal for all the Franciscan brothers and sisters so there were several guests in the office. The mass was nice (although I never know what to do about communion; this time, we weren’t specifically told that you had to be Catholic to partake but since I’m not down with Transubstantiation I opted not to—plus I have a cold which wouldn't have been good for the common cup) and actually very moving. Following that, there was a big brunch at the office with some delicious quiche (two words I didn’t think I'd ever use together).

I also went to the bank today and made it official: I now have a swiss bank account. Of course, that doesn’t really mean there’s anything in it. I have significantly less than the business man with stacks and stacks of American hundreds I saw at the teller to my left. But it’s fun to pretend.

And it’s finally officially sunny here. I think we might actually have summer-like temperatures for the rest of the week (as opposed to the fall-like 50s that it’s been since my arrival). My morning run today was beautiful as the sun rose over the Lake. I signed up for the Hashers’ mailing list, so hopefully I can join up with them next week for some group running (and apparently drinking).



I’ve been reading Donald Miller’s book Searching for God Knows What recently and I think he’s got some interesting things to say about humans’ tendancies to try to prove our own worth by comparing ourselves to others. It is so obviously that if you are following Christ that these things do not matter because everyone is completely equal. We are all given our own gifts and none are more special than anothers. It’s especially tough in a field like design where everyone is constantly comparing themselves with others and tearing others down to make themselves feel better. I have been in plenty of situations where I have felt like I am entirely uncreative and others where people have really responded to my work. It’s strange, but ultimately meaningless. Any glory I ever get can only be attributed to God and I know He’s blessed me with certain talents.



On another equally random note, Hope In The Dark, Jeremy Cowart’s photography book on Africa is now available from RELEVANT. While he did most of the work, I got to help lay it out and have my name on it which is very humbling. It came out quite beautifully thanks in no small part to Cameron for sticking with it and Nick for pushing for quality printing. You can check out RELEVANT’s site for it here. (Go to “Hope In The Dark” under the “New Releases” menu.) Download the sample chapter pdf for a peak at the greatness, or just trust me and buy it (a portion of the proceeds go to organizations making a difference in Africa).
Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home