Thursday, January 17, 2008

Away From Home For the Holidays Part 3: Christmas Eve and Other Stories

Montreux Market
Though a great deal of the Christmas season this year was somewhat surreal, one of the things that did seem quite traditionally Christmas-y was the Montreux Christmas market. Certainly not as big as some of Europe’s more prominent Christmas displays (particularly those in Germany), this one was still nice. Christmas lights abounded through the city and the lakefront was lined with plenty of vendors selling hot wine, snacks, and homemade goods. Sure, the hedge carvings of characters from Ice Age 2: The Meltdown may have been a little out of place, but for the most part, it was good fun.






This booth was selling what I think were manger displays in different sizes and complexities. This one pretty much includes the entire village. Pretty neat.

Christmas in Geneva
Christmas Eve includes the only major family tradition that easily springs to mind. As a family, we’ve always opened presents that night rather than the following morning because we often traveled to relatives’ places on Christmas Day. What started out as something practical has now become the norm, and I really enjoy spending time at church and then coming home to spend time with family. I’m sure my parents have also enjoyed the extra hours of sleep on Christmas morning this has afforded them over the years.

Of course, this year was going to be different. And though I didn’t have presents, a tree, or family I did have friends which was the next best thing. I even somehow managed to enjoy three out of three of my favorite desserts over the course of two days.


This is me in front of my apartment window. There was a big Christmas tree visible from our place which I liked to think of as “my” tree since we didn’t have one at home

I spent the majority of Christmas Eve day baking a Pumpkin Pie (one of my three faves) to contribute to a small potluck at Julia’s. Despite not being able to find a proper pie pan (shallow tarts being the preferred regional pastry…) it turned out really good. Along with Patty and Patience, we had a nice little get-together before heading to the Anglican Church for worship (one of the only places in town with an 11pm service).

Me, Patty, Julia and Patience


Patty prepares to enjoy some tasty pumpkin pie


On Christmas Day the Vrieling’s hosted a brunch for the Shema folks in town which was quite nice, especially Conny’s chocolate mousse (that would be the second of the favorite desserts). Lammert read us the Christmas story and we then ended up watching last year’s Nativity Story film. And after all that, we worked on the used bike I bought a couple months back and finally got it road-ready. Now once I have enough money to buy a helmet, I’ll be able to get around even more conveniently.

Christmas brunch


Max clearly recognizes the true meaning of Christmas: Legos!


Nuno “carves” the “traditional” Christmas sausage


Lammert tells us what Christmas is all about

That evening I was able to join my Hash friends Jon and Philippa for an evening of games at one of their mates’ flats (this is apparently what Brits do on Christmas). We enjoyed some homemade tiramisu (the final favourite dessert) and a whiskey tasting whilst playing a quite addictive German board game that’s a bit like Monopoly meets Colonization.

Though it may not have been quite what I was used to, I really enjoyed my time here and am quite thankful that so many people were around Geneva this year.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Those Germans make some pretty good board games. I bought Settlers of Catan for my family for Christmas this year and while we only had time to play it once, it was pretty neat. I think my family was a little thrown off by the complexity at first but they'll get the hang of it eventually.

1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home