Monday, October 01, 2007

How I Spent My Summer Vacation Part 2: Salt Lake City

On August 30th I flew out to Salt Lake City to visit Zach who’s been out there working for Infinite Scale since last summer. Since I’d never been to Utah and probably wouldn’t go without someone there to visit, I figured it would make sense to do so now.

I planned the trip over Labor Day and Zach took a day off so we actually had a 4-day weekend which allowed us to roadtrip around the region (more on that next post). Thursday after he finished work we hung out, ate some delicious Mexican food and saw the Bourne Ultimatum (one of approximately 8 movies I caught up on while I was back).

On Friday Zach took me around to some of SLC’s tourist/Mormon hotspots (they’re pretty much one and the same there).


Brigham Young statue at Temple Square seeming to say “this is the place.” Or something.


Great Salt Lake meridian


The Mormon Tabernacle...


...and its interior


The LDS Temple


We also headed to SLC’s Public Library which apparently won the national library award in 2006. It was pretty impressive, with much of the design fixtures having been done by prominent design firm Pentagram.


Here’s a clever bike rack out front


And here’s a pretty incredible floating sculpture of butterflies reading books that form a human head


the dead-end of the path up on the building’s roof


The top of the building offers a nice view of the city and the surrounding landscape. Zach often hikes in those hills, but we ran out of time during my visit.


One of the coolest things for me was more Olympic history, SLC having hosted 2002’s winter games. They’ve created a nice little visitor’s center near Utes’ stadium where the torch resides (as well as opening many of the sites in Park City during the day). Infinite Scale was actually founded as a result of two of the principles’ work on the games, and the firm helped put this center together.








Kudos to Zach for suggesting this shot


On one of the days Zach actually did have to work I wandered around the city and visited the contemporary art center where this rocket-powered cow hung out.


During my trip I also got to try a lot of good food and beer (because even though Utah has ridiculous liquor laws there are stilll plenty of breweries around). On one of my last nights there, emo-pop band Mae was playing a show celebrating their new album, so I headed to that. The show was good, still mixing a lot of their previous disc The Everglow in with the new tunes.







All in all, a great trip to a very pretty city. Up next: the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home