Monday, August 06, 2007

Strike 1

Sunday marked my first experience with fickle European trade unions. I was in Budapest for the weekend and upon arriving at the airport was informed that the union representing airport staff in the areas of security, refueling and aprons (yes, really) had called a strike from 4pm to midnight. My flight was supposed to leave at nine.

Fortunately, something must have gotten resolved because they started checking people in around 8 or so. Yet it took about an hour or so just to get through security – at least the airport wasn’t air-conditioned either… Anyway, our flight was supposedly delayed until 10:20. We ended up not leaving until after 11:30. This was about the point where the pilot informed us that Geneva’s airport is only open until midnight so we would be landing in Lyon, France. It being an EasyJet flight, I was actually quite uneasy about what that meant. Again, fortunately, they told us they would be busing us to Geneva. Of course once we landed (a bit before 2) it took another hour for the buses to show up. So I ended up making it into Geneva by charter bus yesterday morning at 4:30am. I now live about 15 minutes walk from the airport, so I at least didn’t need to rely on public transportation, but man was it a strange experience.

Now I have two big trips to write about – Athens and Budapest – but my copy of Deathly Hallows finally arrived yesterday. It may be awhile before I get the pictures uploaded…

In the meantime, enjoy a free preview image from each location.




See you soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home