Thursday, October 26, 2006

Snow Patrol in Zurich

Last Wednesday, the 18th, Farhad and I left work a bit early to catch the train to Zurich for a concert by Brit-rockers Snow Patrol. This was my first time seeing the band, and given that Eyes Open is one of my favorite albums of the year I knew I had to make it there. The train ride was about 3 hours long but we planned accordingly. Though I didn’t get to spend any real time in Zurich besides the walk to the Volkshaus I can’t wait to go back. It seems like a great city and a lot more modern/Western looking than Geneva. Of course, that could just be because everything just appeared very well-designed (that’s German Switzerland for you). But anyway, it’s apparently more of a cultural hotbed than Geneva, so I’ll have to plan some weekend excursions.

So anyway, having made it to the venue, I was back in my element. A rock show in Zurich might as well be a rock show in Columbus and I drank everything in. Opening was a band called the Cinematics who sounded a lot like the old Killers album, but not bad.

Gary Lightbody and co. hit the stage with “Spitting Games” and didn’t look back. The light show was almost as high-energy as the band, providing some great effects (and photo ops).
The entire set consisted only of material from the most recent two albums but I didn’t mind one bit. The two things that impressed me most about the band were (1) how they seemed to be having a genuinely great time (Gary would spontaneously break into a huge smile during instrumental breaks), and (2) how the imbued their songs with a level of energy that made me gain new appreciation for those that never impacted me on record.

“Chasing Cars” was played to the delight of Grey’s Anatomy fans everywhere, but I was far more moved by the powerful slow build of “Make This Go On Forever.” In fact I enjoyed everything, though would have like to have heard “Hands Open” (which was conspicously absent along with “Chocolate,” though they’re probably as sick of playing that as they are of Zach Braff).

Regardless, it was a great show and I got some decent pictures.

















Afterwards, knowing that we couldn’t make it back to Geneva before the morning, we took a train to Bern where we attempted to sleep in the station 3.5 hours (I managed 2) before our connecting train would leave. It wouldn’t have been too bad but it got really cold in the station. Fortunately I had the foresight to pack about 3 extra layers, but still couldn’t sleep for very long. Also, the pay toilets (which were the only ones in the station) were closed for the night, so that was exciting.
After we both couldn’t sleep any longer, Farhad and I walked into the city a little, bought cheap and fresh soft pretzels from a stand that was just opening, and were finally able to board our train.

We made it back to Geneva around 7am and promptly slept for another 3 hours each (having taken Thursday morning off). Though it now all seems a bit like a strange dream, it was a good time and I feel like I’ve earned some stripes from sleeping in a bus station in a city unknown to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home