Monday, April 07, 2008

Paris, France Part 1: Touristy Stuff

Over the long Easter weekend (one of the benefits of working for a Catholic organization is getting both Good Friday and Easter Monday off), I finally made my way to Paris to see Maggie and Bouba. While there’s no doubt that I was in France, it’s also true that Paris has its own vibe. I had a really good time and even managed to communicate with Bouba reasonably well despite my limited French and his limited English. It was also good to see Dana Schrum again as well as Maggie’s friend Tess.

In an effort to get as much of the touristy stuff out of the way as possible while Maggie worked on Friday, I took a free walking tour (yes, from the same group used in London, Edinburgh and Amsterdam). We would also end up doing the same in Montmartre on Saturday evening.

The weather was strange over the weekend. Fortunately, there was a lot of beautiful blue sky. Unfortunately, there were random wind and hail storms that whipped up just about every day. You’d think I was in Ohio or something. So if my pictures look schizophrenic, that’s why.

Here’s the tourist special:


St. Michael’s Fountain


Garden at the end of Ile-de-la-Cité


place where the guardians of the French language exercise their real ultimate power (which mostly entails wearing powdered wigs and debating whether an iPod is masculine or feminine, from what I gather)




Jardin Tuileries


The Egyptian obelisk at Place de Concorde


Fountain at Place de Concorde


Petit Palais


Arc de Triomphe


More of the same


Me at the Eiffel Tower


From a distance, I thought the scale of the tower was pretty unimpressive against the skyline (kind of like the Statue of Liberty). However, when you’re actually under the thing, it’s quite magnificent.


Peace monument


the Eiffel Tower behind the Peace monument


St. Madeleine Church


Notre Dame Cathedral




One of the interior windows but not the Rose Window


beautiful Art Nouveau metro stop

More to come, including plenty of art and Montmartre, my favorite area of the city (at least of what I saw).

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home