Monday, March 10, 2008

US Economy + Swiss Standard of Living = Suck

It’s been a little while since I’ve actually described living in Geneva and Europe in general. These posts have more or less turned into a travelogue, which may be appropriate but isn’t entirely what I set out to do with this journal. Hopefully from time to time over my last 4 months or so here I’ll be able to do some more reflection on day-to-day life. Here’s one example.


{No actual dollars were harmed/defaced in the creation of this “graphic”}

I’ve complained before about how expensive Switzerland (and Geneva in particular is), but things have gotten a whole lot more ridiculous over the last few months. Yes, in the international economy the US Dollar has been hitting some all-time lows – especially versus the Euro and British Pound. When I arrived one dollar bought you 1.25 Swiss Francs. Now one dollar buys 1.02 Swiss Francs.

That’s almost parity, folks.

What this means is that this weekend when I went to McDonald’s (no, I’m not proud of it, but their beef quality standards are much higher here than at home) which is basically the cheapest food option in the city, it cost me about 3 times as much as home. Here’s the receipt as proof:

14.70 CHF = $14.40 US

If I’m not mistaken, this same meal (a Big ’N’ Tasty Extra Value Meal) costs somewhere between 4 to 5 bucks stateside. That is quite a mark-up.

I am reminded of this great SNL skit from a few years back. At the time it was funny and a bit quaint. Now, it’s a much bitterer pill to swallow.


Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

I feel your pain. When I got to Okinawa the exchange rate was approximately 120-125 Yen to the dollar. Right now the rate is about 98-102 Yen to the dollar and that hurts quite a bit out in town. Japan's cost of living is probably similar if not more expensive than Switzerland although it's better here in the sticks than it would be in Tokyo. At least I still have the on base grocery store, restaurants, gas station, etc. that price things in dollars. I'd be a lot broker if I had to buy everything with Yen.

2:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home