Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Prague, Czech Republic Part 3: Food

Anyone who knows me pretty well probably knows that I enjoy food. Especially good food. Fortunately Prague is both cheap (compared with Geneva—it’s right about on par with U.S. prices) and international, offering a variety of dining options in addition to its own staples. As has become something of a pattern over the last couple months, I took several pictures of my meals and various dining establishments during the trip.

Oh yeah. Prague also has really good beer. And really cheap beer. Much cheaper than America. Like, the equivalent of dollar drafts everywhere.

From what I understand from our local contacts Josh (a UC grad and friend of Nicki) and his wife Susanna (a native Czech), regional food is typified by goulash and bohemian dumplings, as well as pork. Fried bread is also popular (and delicious). So our first night out I had some delicious “beer chili goulash” with bread dumplings


Granat: one of the many beers I sampled over our four-day trip


I was quite surprised to come across a Little Caesar’s in the middle of Europe. I was also pretty happy. I ate there Sunday night and got 1/4th a pizza, crazy bread with sauce and a bottomless fountain drink for about $5


This is Natalie reacting to her destruction of an apple strudel


Nadia in Coffee Heaven (literally the name of the place), a nice Starbucksy chain. They also had clever no smoking signs (below)



We had a great lunch (and later a nice breakfast) at Bohemia Bagel, a restaurant started by an American ex-pat that apparently is faring quite well. You just can’t get hot pastrami (or bagels) in Geneva…


As part of the Easter festivities (more on those next time), there were several stands of traditional foods and snacks. This thing was called “Trdlo” and was sort of like an elephant ear—basically baked cinnamon-sugary dough




This guy was making baked apples (with rum-soaked raisins, honey and cinnamon). I had one of those as well


And finally, Mexican food. Yes, I’m a broken record, but I love the stuff. Between Berlin, my birthday dinner, and Prague, I’ve actually had the good stuff 4 times over the past 2 months. Maybe not as much as home, but better than this fall. Prague actually had fast-food options too:


My last meal in the city was at a place in Mala Strana simply called “Cantina.” I had a terrific pork quesadilla with guacamole. This photo does not do it justice, nor do you likely care. But it was great.


To be continued…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home