Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Retreat(s)!

At the risk of seeming like some sort of religious zealot, I figured I’d update this thing with some info of what I’ve spent half the weekends in February doing: that is, retreats with a couple of the church communities I’m part of here.

A couple weeks ago we had a planning retreat for Shema across the border into France in a town called Peillonnex. It was a nice time that allowed us to gather and not only come up with some goals for the “missional community” within the next year, but also just enjoy each other’s company. It was fun to be around kids for the weekend as well, since three of our families on the core team have them.

Here’s a picture of the crew from the retreat:

l to r, Row 1: Byung-Soo, Chris Vrieling, Julia Henke, Laura Case, Yannick (with Cody) Ries; Row 2: Josh Case (with Jacob Ries), Lammert Vrieling, Max Vrieling, Conny Vrieling, me, Sébastien Heiniger, and Andy Ries. Not pictured are Todd Dellanegra and his family and Antje.

Here are the posters I’ve done for the various series’ so far:







Next up: a logo overhaul…


This past weekend I went on the YAGS (the young adults group from the Baptist Church) winter retreat which was a lot of fun. A bit like being back in youth group. But still fun.

We headed to a town near Montreux called Les Mosses and had a pastor (who is currently based in Monaco) lead us through the book of Daniel in between meals, board games, skiing, and poker.
The weather was pretty dismal on Saturday morning, so despite our attempts at two different locations, skiing looked out of the question. After lunch we headed back to one of them and conditions had improved a bit so we were able to pay for a half day and get a few hours in. It’s been about 6 years since I last skiied, so I was moderately impressed at how (reasonably) well I did, only falling a handful of times and getting back into it without many problems.

Here are some pictures from the weekend (only the ones on the slopes are mine; the others are “borrowed” from Nathan and Filippa):


The place we stayed

Low visibility kept us from skiing Saturday morning

Jeanette, myself, and Frank, all dressed up and nowhere to ski

What to do next but play Scrabble? With Mary, Tyler, and Jim Beerley (who led our sessions for the weekend)

The weather got a bit better for the afternoon

On the slopes: Me, Austin Beerley, Tyler (in the background), and Jeanette

All that clearance stuff I got at Target over Christmas came in handy

Jeanette, Darryl, and me stirring the fondue for Saturday evening’s dinner. Mmm…

Evening poker. I was first out. Not a good night for me.

Filippa, Jeanette, and me waiting around for something to happen

Natalie (trying to pretend she’s not being photographed) and me at lunch on Sunday

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home