Sunday, September 28, 2008

Bad Type Worldwide

It’s now been two months since I left Europe and I’m coming to grips with the fact that I’m not returning (at least not anytime in the near future). I suppose it’s probably also time to hang up this blog, or at least this iteration of it. Therefore, a final post devoted to some of the places I was able to visit over the past two years that will bring us full circle.

When I first arrived in Switzerland I wrote a couple posts detailing my dismay at finding the much maligned Comic Sans font at use in a country known for good design and typography. My silence on this front in the time since may give the inaccurate impression that my encounters with Comic Sans came to an end. Unfortunately, the truth is far more sinister. In almost every country I visited, I spotted examples of the dark side of globalization.

Here, a goodbye to Europe and a good riddance to awful typography:

Geneva, Switzerland


Vevey, Switzerland


Montreux, Switzerland

Note: Italicizing it doesn’t make things any better

Interlaken, Switzerland


Annecy, France


St. Gervais, France


Paris, France


Madrid, Spain


Barcelona, Spain

No, outlines don’t improve the appearance either

Dublin, Ireland

How can a brand as large as 7Up stoop to such lows? And Fido Dido still exists? If you say so, Dublin…

London, England


Budapest, Hungary



Bold, outlined, AND with a killer gradient in the background? Sign me up!

Prague, Czech Republic

Not only do we get Comic Sans (which appears to be squished), but there’s also a second horrifying typeface on display

Hamburg, Germany


Rome, Italy

There is just so much going on here that I don’t know where to begin, so I’ll just let the photo stand for itself.

Athens, Greece

This isn’t Comic Sans, and fortunately I didn’t see any Greek version of the font. However, they had plenty of their own display faces including this exciting example.

Zurich, Switzerland

I was pleased that Swiss design centers Basel and Zurich appeared Comic Sans-free. But I did find this stacked Hobo on display in the latter city.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home